A fur is one of the strongest wardrobe investments that you can make. Fur jackets are timeless, sure to flatter any attire. They offer warmth and protection from the elements while ensuring that you are always your most stylish self. But in order to get the most from your fur, you need to care for it properly. And care for your fur begins from day one: that moment when you first search for “fur jackets for sale” and begin browsing for a fur seller. That’s because your seller can be your number one source for assisting you with the care of your fur jacket. Therefore, as you review the following, keep in mind that choosing the right seller can simplify this process by offering cleaning, repair, and storage solutions which will keep your fur jacket looking its best.
Daily Tips for Keeping Your Jacket Looking Its Best:
- Your fur is sensitive to certain chemicals and other elements. Therefore, you should practice “last on, first off” when wearing your fur, meaning that you should put it on right as you are leaving the house and take it off as soon as you return. This will help to keep your jacket protected from hairspray, makeup, perfume, and other chemicals which can damage the fur.
- For daily storage, you should hang your jacket in a place where it will have access to plenty of air flow and will not be crushed by surrounding wardrobe pieces. Never hang your fur jacket in a plastic storage bag of any kind, as the plastic can crush or break the delicate hairs of your fur. Also, do not hang your jacket in a cedar closet. Cedar can dry out the air, and dry air can be extremely damaging to fur. Also, never hang your fur jacket near mothballs. The same chemicals that make mothballs useful for certain clothing items can be very harmful for fur jackets.
- If your fur jacket gets wet, do not dry it with heat. Simply let it air dry in an open room. If your jacket becomes overly soaked, then the safest course of action is to take it to a fur specialist who can ensure that it is properly cleaned and dried.
Cleaning Moisturizing and Storage:
- Each year having your fur garments cleaned and naturally moisturized professionally is optimal. Never take fur items to a standard dry cleaner as they do not know how to care for fur garments –you should use a fur specialist to ensure that your jacket is properly treated in order to increase its longevity against the skins drying out quickly and tears that may occur more rapidly. Also, remember that the annual cleaning and moisturizing schedule assumes that you have not had any spills or other accidents which require immediate cleaning. If your jacket needs immediate cleaning, you should always do so. When it comes to jackets and other fur items, you are always better off being extra-safe.
- You should also have your jacket professionally stored during the summer or any other extended period of time when you will not be wearing it. If you have chosen a professional furrier during the purchasing process seller, they will be able to provide you with storage, moisturizing and cleaning options so that you can have the bundle completed at the same time. The importance of professional storage cannot be overstated as the environment will be temperature controlled A proper storage provider will provide the correct balance of air moisture and temperature, as well as offer protection from pests.
- Speaking of pests – household pests such as the case making clothes moths can damage a fur very quickly. And unfortunately, by the time you discover that you have them, the damage has already been done. And unless you hire an exterminator, the moths will continue to return. Plus, mice and other rodents will literally eat their way through your fur. Professional storage is the best way to ensure that your furs are protected.
- Finally, you should have your fur jacket repaired as necessary. A professional fur care provider can carefully review your coat for damage and complete any needed repairs when you bring it in for cleaning and/or storage .to see if there are any areas in need of repair. If you find your coat is in need of repair take it to a trusted furrier such as ML Furs so they will be able to address the issue immediately. The more responsive you are to the needs of your jacket, the longer it will keep you dry, warm, and looking its best.
Like any investment piece, your fur jacket requires a bit of maintenance. But by simply taking a few steps to keep your jacket protected, repaired, and properly stored, you can ensure that you will keep it looking beautiful. Also, click here for information about maintaining your fur coat, provided by the experts at ML Furs.